1. an apple pie
2. a sausage
3. a cornmeal flatbread
4. a cheesecake
3. Who is the little boy?
1. the old woman and old man’s son
2. the Johnny-cake’s brother
3. Johnny-cake himself
4. a well-digger
4. Why did the old woman leave Johnny-cake in the oven?
1. Because she did not want to watch him.
2. Because she was going to make other cakes.
3. Because she went to sleep.
4. Because she went to work in the garden.
5. Who is a digger?
1. The man who excavates.
2. The man who works with the hammer.
3. The man who dances.
4. The man who writes poems.
6. What does it mean, “to outrun”?
1. to follow somebody
2. to run faster or further than someone
3. to catch somebody
4. to eat somebody
7. Why did the fox asked Johnny-cake to come closer?
1. Because the fox could not hear him.
2. Because the fox wanted to eat him.
3. Because the fox did not want to move.
4. Because the fox was very lazy.
8. Why did the Johnny-cake come to the fox?
1. Because he wanted to speak loudly.
2. Because the fox asked him.
3. Because he ran very fast.
4. Because he was not very clever.
9. Выберите нужный глагол:
Johnny-cake was so quick that the wolf saw that there was no hope to catch him, and he _____________ down to rest.
10. Выберите нужный предлог:
after – to – for – in
1. “Oh, I can’t hear you; can you come a little closer?” said the fox ______________ a weak voice.
2. Johnny-cake was going along the road, and soon he came ______________ a bear.
3. They threw down their picks and ran ______________ him.
4. The boy called his parents ________ ________ help, but they could not catch him.
11. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. How many persons are mentioned in the story?
2. How many diggers were there?