Jack the Buttermilk
Jack was a boy who sold buttermilk. One day he met a witch. She asked him to give her some of his buttermilk for free.[37 - for free – бесплатно] “If you don’t give me some buttermilk,” said the witch, “I’ll put you into my bag and carry away[38 - carry away – уносить]”. Jack refused to give the witch any of his buttermilk, so the witch put him into a bag that she carried over her shoulders.
She walked home with him. But on her way she suddenly remembered that she forgot a pot of fat that she bought in the town. Jack was very heavy, and the witch did not want to carry him back to the town, so she asked some men who were brushing the hedge by the road to take care[39 - take care – позаботиться, присмотреть] of her bag till she came back.
When the witch went away, Jack cried to the men, “If you take me out[40 - if you take me out – если вы вытащите] of this bag and fill it full of thorns,[41 - fill it full of thorns – наполните её колючками] I will give you some of my buttermilk.”
So the men took Jack out of the bag and filled it with thorns, and then Jack gave them some buttermilk and ran home.
When the witch came back from town she picked up her bag, and walked home. But the thorns began to prick her back. When she came home, she emptied the bag on a clean white table. But when she found that there was nothing in the bag but thorns, she was very angry and said, “I’ll catch you tomorrow, Jack, and I’ll boil you.”
Next day she met Jack again and asked him for some buttermilk and told him, “If you do not give me some buttermilk, I’ll put you into the bag again.” But Jack said, “I’ll give you no buttermilk.” So the witch put him into her bag and again she remembered that she forgot something in the town.
This time she left the bag with some men who were mending the road.
When the witch went away, Jack cried to the men, “If you will take me out and fill this bag full of stones, I will give you some of my buttermilk.”
Then the men took Jack out of the bag, and he gave them the buttermilk.
When the witch came back from town she picked up her bag, and walked home. But the bag was very heavy. So she chuckled and said, “Indeed, Jack, you must eat less.”
When she came home she emptied the bag on the white table again. But when she saw the stones, she was very angry, and cried, “I swear, Jack, that I’ll boil you when I catch you!”
Next day she met Jack again and asked for some buttermilk. But Jack said, “No,” again, so she put him into her bag and went straight home with him and threw him out on the white table.
When she did this she saw she did not have enough water to boil the boy. So she put Jack back in the bag and went away. But she forgot to tie the bag. So while she was away, Jack crept out of it, opened all the cupboards in the house and filled the bag with all the pots that he could find. After that he went away, and soon he was safely home.
When the witch came back she emptied the bag on the table again and broke all the pots that she had. After this she never caught Jack any more.
1. Выберите правильный вариант:
1. The witch asked Jack for some thorns.
2. The witch asked Jack for some buttermilk.
3. The witch asked Jack for some stones.
4. The witch did not ask Jack for anything.
2. What is buttermilk?
1. a white liquid produced by the cows
2. a dairy product from the top of milk
3. a sour liquid which remains after the butter was separated from milk
4. a sweet liquid
3. Who is a witch?
1. a woman whose husband died
2. a woman who owns or manages a farm
3. a woman was married young
4. a woman who possesses evil magic powers
4. Why did Jack refuse to give the witch some buttermilk?
1. Because he did not want to give her buttermilk for free.
2. Because he was greedy.
3. Because she did not ask politely.
4. Because he did not have any buttermilk.
5. Why did the witch recommend Jack to eat less?
1. Because he drank much.
2. Because he was very fat.
3. Because her bag was very heavy.
4. Because she wanted to boil him.
6. Why did the witch stop to catch Jack?
1. Because she found another boy.
2. Because she did not see him any more.
3. Because she understood that it was useless.
4. Because she liked him.
7. Выберите правильный вариант:
1. When she did this she saw she did not have enough water to boil the boy.
2. When she did this she saw she did not have enough power to boil the boy.